So why a Reynard City Christmas Gift Guide in November? Normally the reason would be to help people get organised and reduce stress a bit. While that is still a factor, in the UK (as of the time of writing) a second lockdown is happening, so some businesses may not be open for face to face deliveries, while others may offer call and collect or delivery services. In the Reynard City Christmas Gift Guide we will be highlighting a number of businesses, including some that support us. We recommend getting in contact with companies directly in order to get the latest information from them.
Reynard City Christmas gift guide: General tips
1. Set a budget- I am guilty of this, it can be easy to keep adding little things here and there. Better to have one item you know someone will like then to spread it out too much.
2. Gift bags are your friend- Especially if you are like me and terrible at gift wrapping (See also: tape).
3. Go independent/local- Supporting local and independent businesses allows people to continue pursuing their passions and keeps money in the local economy.
4. Don’t discount charity shops- If you are limiting your spending, keep an eye out as you can get some good items in charity shops such as quality art prints, glassware etc.
5. Be wary with vouchers this year- While vouchers can be useful, it may not be a good idea this year with restrictions on restaurants, films delayed etc.
6. Custom hampers- Yes, some businesses can do this for you. But one way to personalise this is to get items from different businesses and put them into one hamper.
7. “It’s the thought that counts”- This does not mean “remember to get a gift” (though that is important too!) It is also about thinking what someone likes and trying to get something they may not get for themselves. It’s a challenge, but again this is where I think buying from a local or independent company/individual can be good or getting something personalised, as it is more likely to be something they wouldn’t get for themselves.
8. Get it delivered- OK this one isn’t necessarily restricted to Christmas. Right now, it’s a tough time. Anything you can do to raise spirits can help. For example, That Cafe can deliver brownies for £20 to anywhere in the UK (or £15 collection) while Kofra can post coffee to anywhere in the world!
9. One I had my friend Gizzy ask about- If you want an in person visit from Father Christmas (socially distanced of course) then post an ad in the East Anglian theatre network Facebook group (Also useful if you want to commission actors for voice work, promotion, marketing etc!)
We had a lot of businesses give suggestions, plus we wanted to shoutout some regulars who supported us. If you know anyone who offers a unique product, service or want to link your own art/commission please comment below!
To start off with we have the comic, issue 2 is available now, more info below (Please note- you have until Thursday (in person) to buy Reynard City Chronicles issues 1 and 2 from Canary Comics and Bookbugs and Dragontales in Norwich and Beccles Books in Beccles. Please check to see their plans post lockdown!
Edward Couzens-Lake is a long term supporter of Reynard City and has written some fantastic local interest books for those who want to know more about Norwich City and East Anglian local history and prominent figures. He is also a freelance writer so if you are looking to promote your work he is a good person to talk to!
#OnThisDay in 1993 The Canaries beat Bayern Munich 2-1 in the Olympic Stadium, then Bayern's home ground, in the UEFA Cup. Edward Couzens-Lake book captures how "The Nineties" would prove to be a decade of great change for Norwich City. #NCFC Visit ➡️https://t.co/HeHyjSWbI5 pic.twitter.com/bTsbgV1Qxy
— My Football Books (@myfootballbooks) October 19, 2020
Ariane Sherine has written a number of interesting books as well as a comedy writer and musician. I wanted to highlight “Talk Yourself Better” as it was something that helped me through a difficult period.
Wild Oak Workshops is offering wreath making workshops, and that does add a nice extra Christmassy touch.
🐳 Going to open my little plushie shop on 13th November at 8pm GMT!
I'll tweet pics of what I make for it in the meantime but this is the family I have made so far! 👻 pic.twitter.com/IB3Sbc5oGN
— Sammy 🐳 (@GhostlyFelis) October 31, 2020
Love it ! Cute feed back xxxx pic.twitter.com/O1K6yvoRmo
— Polly Guy / Pantries (@pollypantries) October 23, 2020
New book by Mandy Lawson
Lora Kate London has had a string of meaningless jobs and she’s finally ready to make something of herself. Her roommate kind of bailed on her and she may have to give her coffee maker a funeral. But there’s one person she can always count on, her best friend Sam Bridges. They’ve been friends for five years and she’s his number one. L.K. lands a job as a party planner with a boss that is so hot he makes her melt right into her Jimmy Choos, but Sam doesn’t trust him. At her first party, she ends up forgetting the cake and accidentally flashes the caterer! Luckily, her boss, Ben Sparks, thinks she’s adorable. He buys her presents and gives amazing kisses, but things get a little dicey when Sam starts dating her new roommate. She might be a little jealous, but she shouldn’t be. She has a hot boyfriend and Sam’s just her best friend. Right? Who will capture L.K.’s heart? Bestie? Or Boss Man?
Greg long shirt https://t.co/Iq6L8C2k0R
£15 was £30 #elevenseshour
— Masato Jones (@masato_jones) November 2, 2020
5* rated on Amazon! See what Winston is up to and how he is using his story to help children https://t.co/q9pcLomf84 #childrensbook #ChildrensBooks #author #ChristmasIsComing #christmasgift #christmasgiftideas #CatsOfTwitter #cats #wonderfuladventuresofwinston pic.twitter.com/ooXZ1d5Myn
— Winston's Adventures (@Winston_Man_Cat) November 5, 2018
— Danielle Gransaull (@DanielleSoloud) September 25, 2020
Famous ‘Flateys: Volume 14 is available! https://t.co/InayBkxheX
33 pgs of shenanigans!
As recreated by the Acme Compressed Cylinders Inc. crew.
Issue parodies scenes from:
Scooby Doo, Rudolf, My Little Margie, Willie Whopper, Fairy Tale,Incredible Zorori, Sylvester, Barney Bear pic.twitter.com/OrCtHlmx5L
— GreyofPTA☕ (@GreyofPTA) June 1, 2020
Join Sloane Vyperini as he takes to the streets in the VYPER.
To rid 1980's Los Angeles of the vicious drug lords that rule the city!
— Dan. B – VYPER – Now on Kickstarter (@VanguardComic) October 26, 2020
— Adventures of Lollipop Comics (@Lollipop_Comics) October 30, 2020
Launched today, the new bespoke song service! Get your loved one a gift they'll never forget! Give me your weirdest idea and let me make it into a rap! Dis your enemies! Declare your Love! Details here: https://t.co/yBnvSFstrF
— Professor Elemental (@prof_elemental) October 20, 2020
— The Musical Theatre Factory (@the_MT_factory) August 15, 2020
Donate a coffee and tell me when your birthday is and I'll send you a personalised GrumpySkeletor poem on the day! 💀👍
(Please leave email address details!) https://t.co/WVq7pabbJ8
— GrumpySkeletor (@GrumpySkeletor) November 1, 2020
We now have a framed option for our prints in our Etsy shop! Limited availability but perfect ready to hang gift! 😍🚇🗺️ | Underground Style Maps https://t.co/yXUsCdAl3T#yorkshire #cardiff #edinburgh #bristol #bath #brighton #leeds #eastanglia #norwich #birmingham #coventry pic.twitter.com/qnx3qaMW1p
— Underdog Studio (@UnderdogStudio3) November 1, 2020
— XADRUM (@XADRUM) July 1, 2020
— Trent (@uncannytrent) November 1, 2020
— Ashens and the Polybius Heist (@PolybiusHeist) October 14, 2020
This project only happens thanks to the crowdfunders, artists and supporters who put the time and effort into making this work. Please look them up, follow and support them. It’s been a difficult year for a lot of people but I hope things get better for you!